- S. Vanhanen et al, A 5000 year-old barley grain… University of Helsinki (online resource)
- C. Leipe et al, Barley (Hordeum vulgare) in the Okhotsk culture (5th–10th century AD) of northern Japan and the role of cultivated plants in hunter–gatherer economies PLoS ONE, March 2017
- M. Civil, Modern Brewers Reacreate Ancient Beer, News and Notes No. 132, 1991, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago
- Shun Sakuma et al. Unleashing floret fertility in wheat through the mutation of a homeobox gene. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2019
- R.P. Ellis et al, Wild barley: a source of genes for crop improvement in the 21st century?, Journal of Experimental Botany, Volume 51, Issue 342, January 2000, Pages 9–17
See full list of Individual Species References.