- John P. Melnyk, Massimo F. Marcone, Aphrodisiacs from plant and animal sources – A review of current scientific literature, Food Research International, Volume 44, Issue 4, Pages 840-850, ISSN 0963-9969
- Saffron, A botanist in the kitchen (online resource)
- B. Matthew, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, The Crocus, B. T. Batsford Ltd, London
- Saffron, CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group) esp. chapters on Saffron Technology and Chemistry, on reproduction biology and on cultivation and on medical uses. (various authors)
- Ferrence, Susan C and Gordon Bendersky. “Therapy with Saffron and the Goddess at Thera” Perspectives in Biology and Medicine, vol. 47 no. 2, 2004, p. 199-226
See full list of Individual Species References.